Listen and subscribe on:
What is a style sheet for authors and editors?
Why should a business have a style sheet?
Why should fiction authors create a style sheet?
What should a style sheet include?
- spelling preferences
- punctuation style
- handling numbers, dates and times
- capitalisation and hyphenation
- preferred words, and words to avoid.
- how you’re going to handle point of view
- key geographical locations
- building names and layouts
- language choice
- tense choice
- timeline information
- treatment of dialogue and thoughts
- world-building rules
- character names, histories and traits.
- Developmental editors will be able to advise you on what works well in terms of big-picture decisions.
- Copyeditors and proofreaders will be able to guide you on the micro-elements of style.