What’s the difference between a hyphen and a dash?
Good question – did you even know there was a difference?
What is a hyphen?
How do I make a hyphen?
When do I use a hyphen?
- to join a prefix to its word
- in compound words
re-apply, de-ice, anti-clockwise, non-negotiable.
a well-known speaker; a part-time worker; a dark-blue uniform.
the speaker is well known; he works part time; the uniform is dark blue.
What is a dash?
- an en dash (–) is wider than a hyphen, roughly the width of a capital N
- an em dash (—) is twice the width of an en dash, roughly the width of a capital M
How do I make a dash?
When do I use a dash?
- between elements in a range
- in pairs, to set off additional information