Why should I go to an editorial conference?
1 I don’t know all there is to know about editing and proofreading
- Editing business text: an in-house editor’s perspective
- Non-fiction text: working with charities, businesses and public-sector bodies
- Educational publishing: helping publishers help students
- Sense and sensitivity: polishing grammar while preserving the author’s voice
- Training: balancing CPD and working life.
2 Making a (little) contribution to the profession
- working on English Language Teaching materials
- changing career
- getting started as an editor/proofreader
- ergonomics / healthy working
3. Friends, colleagues and clients
Don’t just say hello, hand over your card and then wait for a job offer to materialise – follow up afterwards by connecting on LinkedIn and social media.
Do they have a blog? Read it and comment – it’s always appreciated.
Follow them on Twitter and engage with them – reply to posts and retweet any interesting content they have.